For many experts on pest control, Spring is cited as the best time of year to spray the house for bugs but while this is often true, these same experts also emphasize the importance of regular inspections.
In other words, pest control is only effective when you keep on top of the matter and regular attention is needed to keep the bugs away. What’s more, these colder months is exactly the time when your home can seem like a very warm and inviting place for bugs, insects and rodents alike!
But that’s just part of the story…
The Importance of Pest Control in Winter According to the Experts
The truth is, many insects such as bees, ants or mosquitoes will die during the colder months but just as many bugs manage to stick around during this period. What’s more, a lot of these bugs or pests will carry disease and travel in huge numbers as they seek the same necessities as one another.
In case you might be wondering, the likes of spiders, cockroaches and termites search for shelter when the temperatures drop. Needless to say, a warm place such as your home will appear very inviting to these critters and this is especially true when they find out about the food!
Anyway, the point is, you really do need pest control in winter and this is another best time of year to spray the house for bugs.
Now, let’s take a look at what you can do to protect your home from bugs in Winter:
6 Simple Tips for Protecting Your Home from Bugs in Winter
- Reduce the extent of moisture in the home. For instance, try not to leave any pools of water in the kitchen or bathroom, and mop up any moisture on any flooring throughout the home.
- Keep firewood away from the home as this timber is the ideal nest for many insects and rodents.
- Make sure the house is clean and tidy. Try cleaning all counter-tops and floors with lemon juice, and clear the rooms of any clutter that might offer some refuge or protection to unwanted pests.
- Use sealant to fill any gaps in walls, floors or windows. Needless to say, these holes are entry points for small insects or bugs and even mice can squeeze through the smallest cracks.
- Check any water pipes for leakage and ensure they are fixed to prevent water damage or dampness.
- Contact your local pest control service to carry out an inspection and spray your home for bugs.
Final Thoughts on Pest Control in Winter
As you can see, both Spring and Winter is considered the best time to spray the home for bugs. Unfortunately for many homeowners, they ignore this cold snap which only serves as an invitation for bugs to come inside during the colder months. Either way, it’s important to stay proactive for these bugs to stay away and your local pest control service is the best way to keep on top of the matter.